Concrete jungle where dreams are made of,
There's nothing you can’t do,
Now you're in New York!
These streets will make you feel brand new,
the lights will inspire you,
Let's hear it for New York, New York, New York
If you know me, you know I have been infatuated with New York City since I was about 13. I make sure you never forget it. “Growing Up Gotti”, which I can say without any shame I was obsessed with, introduced me to the life of a New Yorker, or at least an Italian mob family from Long Island. Since then, I have become fascinated and utterly intrigued by the New Yorker, the New York culture, history, lifestyle. So many firsts have occurred in New York, so many great artists were born there, so many diverse people claim it to be their home. Although I love Los Angeles and its vibe, there is a certain spark about New York City. It is unlike any other city; a true metropolitan gem. Why do I hold this concrete jungle with such high esteem?
1. The accent. This is obvious, but New Yorkers (and people from neighboring Jersey!) have one of the tightest accents in the world. It is often seen as a hindrance and a mark of unprofessionalism, especially for people in The Industry, but I see it as anything but. Of all accents, I want a New York accent (& maybe a cool ghetto English accent too, i.e. Master Shortie). It oozes cool and laid-back. Plus, you’re automatically linked to New York and all the amazingness associated with it.
2. The “New York” character. Confident. Abrasive. Loud. Happy. Swaggerlicious. Warmhearted. These are all semi-contradictory, yet often stated and true, personalities and quintessential New York qualities. Sure every city has a specific “personality”, but New York has one that has a huge, in-your-face impact (partly due to the accent, I think). Why else do you hear “Don’t mess with a
3. Home of hip hop AND fashion. This speaks for itself. The birthplace of hip hop AND one of the four arguable biggest fashion hubs (NYC, Milan, Paris & London)? It’s a place where you can go on a Hip-Hop Sightseeing Tour and shop on 5th Ave. in the same day. How is NYC lucky enough to have all of this?!
4. Center of the world-ness. With help from its rep in music and fashion, NYC is often seen as the “center of the world”. It boasts the headquarters and home for many important and influential companies and organizations, like the UN and Wall Street. NYC is also deemed cool enough to have the Met, New Year’s Eve in Times Square, Broadway, and super-hip/elitist/snobby prep schools.
8. Puerto-Ricans, Dominicans, Italians, oh my! Those who really know me also know I am obsessed with all things Puerto-Rican & Italian (I heart Dominicans too, but the aforementioned tug on my heartstrings). And boy, does NYC have a lot of them! In fact, the highest populations of Puerto-Ricans & Italians outside of their respective homelands! Why I love Puerto-Ricans and Italians besides OBVIOUS external/physical reasons could merit another blog post, but just know they are one of my big reasons for loving NYC so much.
Puerto-Rican Day Parade! I will be there one day!
9. New York-style Pizza. Thin crust, wide, & big. Need I say more?