So. Kanye premiered his debut film called Runaway yesterday. I watched it live on MTV (there were commercials ugh) and as a stan, have a couple thoughts about it:
- Nicki Minaj as narrator OH MY GOSH D: The accent is an insult to all people from the UK for real. But from :41 on, it sounded like spoken word lol
- The first track on the film sounded like it could've been from "College Dropout"!!! YASSS!
- The cinematography was stunning. Big ups to Kanye as a director.
- This was the prettiest I have ever seen Selita Ebanks.
- The TV was like in "Spice World"! yay
- The acting (speaking-wise mostly) was horrendous.
- The color pallette was gorgeous.
- The music was so good!! I don't really get a "College Dropout" vibe from it though (booo). I get more of a ghetto-er "Late Registration" plus a more subdued "Graduation" vibe from his next album.
- The dancing period during "Power".... LOL. But I loved what he did with that beat-maker thing. Super sick.
- Rihanna is on a track?!? It sounded good, damn it. -_-
- Michael Jackson head!!! hahaha why? but i loved it
- oh Kanye, it doesn't matter if you don't want it to symbolize this... but a KKK hood is a KKK hood, sorry #kanyeshrug
- Those who know me, know I love ballet. I also love ballet and hip-hop together. I was even thinking of choreographing a ballet routine to E-40's "Gouda" (don't ask why, I just think the two go well together lol). But the "Runaway" ballet sequence was stretched out tooooo long. It was pretty for the first 2 minutes, then it got old and repetitive. Props to them for staying still for so long though!
- Selita's screaming when she saw the dead bird!!!! D: LOL
- The bird speaks!!! & Kanye saying "I'LL NEVER LET YOU BURN" hahahaha
- "Lost in the World" is my jam!!!! The beginning has a "Hide & Seek"-vibe! #lahv
- "Monster" wasn't in the film :(
Why. I didn't really get the purpose... Maybe him raising from the ~ashes and restoring himself to start anew? Idk. Call me dumb. Also, I think whatever he was trying to get across could have been cut in half aka like 10 minutes. It was just... extra. It was his prerogative to do it, I guess. I just don't know what he was trying to prove and why it was broadcast on like, 3 channels. It was pretty to look at, but that was it for me. I really hope other artists don't feel the need to and think just because they have the ~power to do so, will venture into something that they don't need to meddle in. Wow, I sound like a hater lol